Have you ever stopped to think about how a tension headache can affect your day? It can make it harder to concentrate on your work. This issue can curtail your desire to play with your kids or interact with friends. Such headaches can even make sleeping difficult.
Unfortunately, tension headaches are one of the most common types of headaches. One study reports that at least 50% of U.S. adults have tension headaches in any given year. Figuring out how to stop your tension headaches can be a tough task, but it’s one that a physical therapist can help you with. These specialists can help you identify the source of your headaches. They can also use various therapy methods designed to help stop your tension headaches.
What are some common sources of tension headaches
Learning how to stop your tension headaches begins with learning what’s causing them. A physical therapist’s knowledge of the human musculoskeletal system allows them to pinpoint what issue(s) are the source of your headaches. Some of the common sources of tension headaches include:
How can a physical therapist help stop your tension headaches?
A physical therapist can use many techniques to help reduce the symptoms and frequency of tension headaches. A few of the options your therapist could choose to use to help you are:
- Manual therapy techniques designed to reduce muscle tension and improve soft tissue flexibility.
- Joint mobilization therapy intended to improve flexibility in neck facet joints.
- Instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM) that can break down scar tissue that’s limiting neck and shoulder flexibility.
- Cupping therapy intended to increase blood flow to muscles in your neck and shoulders.
- Ergonomic recommendations designed to improve your posture.
Find help with your tension headaches at Continuum Wellness
Finding out how to stop your tension headaches can be as easy as working with the right physical therapy team. At Continuum Wellness, our physical therapists are primed to help you figure out how to best address your headaches. We offer free screenings that can pinpoint the issue(s) triggering your headaches. In addition, our specialists are adept at constructing individualized therapy plans designed to:
- Decrease headache pain.
- Reduce headache frequency.
- Improve your ability to perform normal daily tasks.
Contact our team today for more information about our headache treatment services or to schedule an initial appointment.