Knee pain is not only a problem because of the pain itself, but it is also a problem because pain in your knees can affect your balance, your mobility and your ability to enjoy your favorite activities.
One of the main challenges of living with knee pain is being able to move around safely. There are many treatments for knee pain that vary depending on the cause and severity of your pain as well as other factors, such as age, weight and medical history.
One type of treatment program that can benefit many people with knee pain is physical therapy. Physical therapists specialize in a wide range of treatments that can help reduce and prevent knee pain using noninvasive, nonaddictive methods.
What to expect from physical therapy for knee pain
One person’s physical therapy session for knee pain will look a little different than another’s. That is because physical therapists customize treatment routines to the needs of each individual patient. However, there are some general experiences and some standard types of treatment you can expect during your physical therapy appointment.
During your first appointment, you can expect:
- A thorough examination of your condition to identify symptoms and their causes
- Questions about your lifestyle, activities and work
- A review of your medical history and any other relevant information that can help with your diagnosis and treatment
- Development of your personalized physical therapy routine that will take place over a course of weeks or months
- Starting your physical therapy with some gentle and light exercises or stretches
- Recommendations for exercises and stretches to perform at home between your appointments
During your following appointments, you can expect:
- A review of your home exercising and stretching
- Continued physical therapy treatments that build off what you have done in your previous session
- Increased challenge or resistance with certain exercises, stretches and activities when your physical therapist feels you are ready
Visit Continuum Wellness for knee pain treatment
Are your knees in constant pain and making it difficult for you to work or enjoy your favorite activities? Our physical therapists at Continuum Wellness can help. We can examine your knees to determine the cause of your pain and develop a customized treatment routine that can help reduce and prevent knee pain. Contact our team today for more information about knee pain treatment or to schedule an initial appointment.