Injuries to your neck are often linked to headaches, but they’re not the only reason why you might be having headaches every day.
Most people experience occasional headaches, and it’s estimated that about 50% of people develop headaches in any given year. However, frequent or chronic headaches are less common. Such headaches are reported to affect between 4% and 5% of the general population. Physical therapists can help you learn what could be causing you to have headaches every day. They offer effective treatment for chronic headaches, too.
Three issues that can cause you to have headaches every day
The root cause of many headaches is lifestyle choices that you make. In many cases, these can affect your neck and trigger a headache. For other people, headaches arise from issues in other parts of the upper body. Some issues that are often at the root of daily headaches are:
- Working from home — More people are currently working from home than ever before. One survey found that 47% of companies plan to let their employees work from home full-time in 2021. However, working from home can also cause you to have more frequent headaches.
The reason is that many workers don’t have the same ergonomic workspaces at home that they did in their office. As a result, they’re more likely to develop poor posture. In turn, this can spark more frequent headaches.
- Sleeping position — How your head and neck are positioned while you’re sleeping can also affect your headache frequency. Your goal should be to sleep in a position that keeps your neck and head level. Yet, worn-out pillows, unsupportive mattresses, or your sleeping position itself can trigger daily neck pain and headaches.
- Undiagnosed jaw issues — Many of the muscles that move your jaw run into your head and neck. These muscles can be another source of daily headaches. Issues with such muscles can come from:
- Regularly chewing tough foods.
- Clenching your jaw.
- Grinding your teeth.
- Jaw misalignment.
Find out what is causing your daily headaches at Continuum Wellness
Looking for help figuring out what is causing you to have headaches every day? Our physical therapists at Continuum Wellness are prepared to help you find the source of your headaches. We can do a free screening on you that’s intended to pinpoint the cause of your headaches. Then, our team can construct a customized physical therapy plan for you that may include therapy methods like:
- Therapeutic exercises
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM)
- McKenzie Method®
- Dry needling
- Virtual therapy
- At-home care
Contact our team today for more information about how we can help address your frequent headaches or to schedule an initial appointment.